Blown insulation can be a pain to remove. It is a dusty job and requires the use of protective gear. It is a good idea to cover your furniture and lay down tarps before you start this process.
When old and damaged insulation is exposed to moisture, it can cause rot or structural failure. It can also be a breeding ground for mold and other allergens. For professional help, contact Insulation Removal Houston.
Asbestos is a naturally occurring mineral that’s mined and used in construction and consumer products because it’s fire-resistant, strong, and flexible. It’s been used in over 3,000 different commercial applications, including floor and ceiling tiles, thermal and electrical insulation, cement pipe and sheet, shingles, gaskets, coatings, paints, insulating papers, automotive brake linings, clutch facings, and motor oil. Most new products today do not contain asbestos, but older homes and buildings built before 1977 may still have it. If asbestos is in good condition and not disturbed, it’s not dangerous. However, when it’s handled with poor safety procedures or becomes deteriorated and friable, asbestos releases tiny, toxic fibers into the air. These can be inhaled and cause long-term lung damage.
The most common type of asbestos in the United States is chrysotile, which is often called white or serpentine asbestos. Chrysotile is found in over 90% of all asbestos products. Crocidolite, which is blue in color, was also used in a variety of insulation and fireproofing products. Amphibole asbestos such as anthophyllite and tremolite, which are brown in color, was also used in some insulation and construction materials.
When asbestos is ingested, it can cause cancer and other health problems. But inhalation is the main way that asbestos affects our health because the fibers can become trapped in our lungs and stay there for a long time. This is why we encourage everyone to get their asbestos checked.
If you suspect that your home contains asbestos, it’s important to hire licensed professionals for removal and testing. This is because even non-friable ACM (materials that can’t be crumbled by hand pressure) can release fibers into the air if they are damaged or disturbed. Cutting, sanding, or scraping asbestos material can release these fibers, as can tearing down walls, ceilings, or insulation when they are being removed from old buildings. These fibers can then be released into the air and inhaled by people in the building. This is why we always recommend hiring a certified asbestos professional for all jobs. They will use special equipment to ensure that the asbestos is safely contained and removed from your property.
Mold growth is a sign of moisture problems, which can be caused by flooding or water leakage. When mold spores come into contact with excess moisture, they begin to grow and can damage the materials they grow on. Mold can also pose a health risk for the occupants of the building. Many types of mold produce allergens and irritants that can cause symptoms in sensitive individuals. These include a runny nose, coughing, eye irritation, rashes, and other ailments. In severe cases, some molds, such as Stachybotrys, can cause more serious respiratory problems.
Mold can be found almost anywhere where there is high humidity or dampness. It thrives in areas that contain cellulose materials such as wood, paper, leather, and cotton. It can also grow on wet drywall, carpeting, and ceiling tiles. When a mold problem is found, it is essential to identify the source of the moisture and correct it as soon as possible.
Non-porous surfaces such as countertops, cabinets, and walls can often be cleaned by spraying and scrubbing them with a mixture of water and laundry detergent. Porous surfaces such as carpeting, drywall, and ceiling tiles require more thorough cleaning and may need to be removed.
Leaving old insulation in attics can be an invitation for pests such as rats, mice, and raccoons to live in the attic. These pests leave behind their droppings and urine, which can contaminate the insulation with these harmful substances. If these contaminants are not removed, the insulation can become ineffective.
When the current insulation is contaminated with animal waste, it is a good idea to remove the old layers of insulation and replace them with new, effective insulation. This will improve indoor air quality and help prevent the problem of unwanted animals living in attics. This process will also remove the odor of urine and droppings from the attic. The insulation can then be inspected to determine if there is asbestos present. If asbestos is present, the existing insulation will need to be removed and disposed of properly. An asbestos inspection can be done by a certified professional.
Insulation isn’t something that most homeowners think about regularly, but it can take a beating over the years. Damaged insulation can lead to a variety of problems, including pest infestation, mold growth, and reduced energy efficiency. The good news is that it’s easy to correct these issues with a little bit of maintenance. This includes removing old insulation, whether it’s fiberglass, cellulose, or vermiculite. Leaving these materials in the attic can lead to damage that will impact your entire home and increase your energy costs.
Old insulation can contain foreign objects such as wood chips, nails, and other debris from roofing or other home construction projects. These materials can pose a health risk if they aren’t removed during the insulation removal process. They can also interfere with the ability to vacuum the attic, reducing the effectiveness of the process.
If you choose to do the job yourself, it’s important to prepare the area by staging your equipment and supplies in a safe location in advance. This includes putting plastic over furniture in the living spaces below the attic and having plenty of large garbage bags on hand for the contaminated insulation. Wear a mask and gloves while working, and be sure to keep the bags away from your face, eyes, and skin while they are being emptied of their contents. It’s a good idea to take breaks every 15 minutes or when you feel your body temperature rise too high.
It’s also important to use a ladder with good railings and not try to climb into the attic through a crawl space. This will reduce the likelihood of falling through a ceiling and getting injured. It’s also important to check local regulations for how fiberglass and cellulose insulation should be accepted for disposal.
The cost of insulation removal depends on the type and amount of insulation present in your home, its condition, and if any asbestos is present. The professional will test the insulation for asbestos before beginning to remove it. This is an essential step to ensure the safety of your family and workers. It also prevents costly asbestos abatement from being incurred in the future. The contractor can then properly dispose of the insulation and install new, safer materials.
Having rodents in your attic can lead to serious problems for your home. Their droppings and urine can create a toxic environment that impacts indoor air quality and can even break down insulation materials and structural components over time. These conditions can also encourage the spread of disease. Some of the most common diseases associated with rodents include rat-bite fever, plague, murine typhus, scrub typhus, and tularemia.
Rodents are small mammals with long tails and short limbs that are typically found in forested areas and woodland habitats. This order of animals includes the well-known mice and rats, as well as squirrels, gophers, chipmunks, gerbils, porcupines, marmots, pocket gophers, and hamsters. They are characterized by their continuously growing teeth, which give them the name “rodents.”
While rodents are an important part of many ecosystems, they can have negative impacts on human health and the structure of buildings. Rodent allergens can cause a variety of health problems, including allergies and asthma. These contaminants can be produced when rodents interact with contaminated substrates such as carpeting, bedding, or contaminated building materials. Rodent allergens can then be released into the indoor environment when these substrates are exposed to moisture, sunlight, or heat.
In addition to their impact on air quality, rodents can also damage insulation by chewing through it and tunneling through it to access heating and cooling ducts and other spaces in the home. The resulting holes can reduce the effectiveness of insulation and lead to increased energy costs.
If your insulation has been damaged by rodents, you can have it removed and replaced by a professional. This process can be much faster than replacing the insulation yourself and is often less expensive as well. For the best results, it is best to hire a professional who uses a high-powered insulation vacuum system to remove blown-in fiberglass or cellulose insulation. These systems are usually gas-powered and come with a long hose that can be used to efficiently suck the insulation into a large trash bag. Make sure to have a secure location for the bag and a large garbage can to put the old insulation in when you’re done.